Every week I plan the meals we are going to have at home and for each of us to take to work or uni etc, and since we are trying to keep true to our new year’s resolutions, I had to scour the internet to find a recipe and I finally did! For this version, I added toasted chopped almonds, oats and brown sugar. It keeps well, is incredibly moist and delicious – you wouldn’t believe it was low fat!
- 200 g plain flour
- 140 g caster sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 5 tbsp apple sauce/purée
- 50 g chopped almonds, toasted
- 75 g whole oats
- 25 g dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin or use a loaf liner.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
- Add the egg whites, bananas, chopped almonds and apple purée; stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oats and brown sugar, then scatter over the top. Press lightly to secure them onto the mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing – enjoy!