Happy Saturday to you all, I hope you are doing the same as me and embracing the weekend with open arms! However, I have been struck down with a cold 😦 my eyes hurt, my nose hurts, and I sound like I’ve got a peg on my nose.
Nevermind, here’s the 6th recipe from the Baking Bible. The reason I chose this is because it’s fairly quick, requires little effort and isn’t as heavy for dessert as a chocolate pudding or a cake. I added raspberries and blueberries for a bit more variety instead of just strawberries.
Another thing, I didn’t use the full amount of cream because I didn’t feel it needed 300 ml of cream on top but again – that’s up to you!
- 4 large egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 level tsp cornflour
- 2 tsps white wine vinegar (However! If like me you don’t have this, you can easily substitute vinegar for lemon juice)
For the filling
- 300 ml double cream, whipped
- 300 g strawberries, halved or sliced
- Optional: raspberries and blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas mark 3
- Lay a sheet of baking parchment on a baking tray and mark a 23 cm circle on it.
- Put the egg whites into a large bowl and whisk until stiff and cloud like.
- Add the sugar a teaspoon full at a time, whisking well after each addition until all the sugar has been added (a very laborious process but keep with it).
- Blend the cornflour and vinegar (or lemon juice) together and whisk into the meringue mixture.
- To make sure the meringue is ready, we all know the trick…tip it over your head – you’ll know if it’s ready if you haven’t got a head full of it!
- Spread the meringue out to cover the circle on the baking parchment, building up the sides so they are higher than the middle. Place in the oven (middle shelf) but immediately reduce the temperature to 150C/fan 130C/gas mark 2.
- Bake for 1 hour until firm to the touch and a pale beige colour.
- Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to become quite cold while still in the oven. This will allow it to have a more marshmallowy texture.
- Remove it from the baking tray and parchment and slide onto a plate.
- Top with the whipped cream and fruit, and then chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.