Well here I present to you, number three of the Mary Berry Baking Bible challenge! I’d never made a swiss roll before until yesterday. Even though it was quite nice, I wouldn’t say it was my favourite type of cake/pudding.
It did break as it folded, so I’m not sure what I did wrong? Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated! I also used the amount of jam suggested, and it definitely wasn’t enough, so I added a touch more; the second time I made it, I used whipped cream as well to jazz it up.
Anyway here we go, swiss roll time!
- 4 large eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g self raising flour
- Filling: strawberry/raspberry jam (and/or whipped cream)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas mark 7.
- Grease and line a swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
4. Sift the flour into the mixture and carefully fold it in – don’t go too mad and beat the life out of it!
6. Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes. The sponge should be golden brown and shrinking at the edges of the tin. While the cake is in the oven, place a piece of large baking parchment onto your work surface and sprinkle it in caster sugar.