I found this recipe on the channel 4 food website and decide to change it. It called for 100ml of oil, which sounded disgusting, especially for a breakfast muffin. So here’s my take on it.
Ingredients (makes 10 approx):
- 50g self-raising flour
- 75g wholemeal flour (wholemeal bread flour is fine)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g fruit muesli (I used Alpen)
- 75g light brown sugar
- 100ml butter
- 150ml milk (Lactofree, Soya milk, whatever your preference)
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 6/200C/400F and line a muffin tray with 10 muffin cases.
- Tip the self raising, wholemeal in a bowl. Add the baking powder, muesli and sugar. Give it a good stir with a wooden spoon so it’s nice and combined.
- In a jug (preferably a Pyrex type), melt 100ml of butter.
- Add the milk and the egg.
- Beat together in the jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold gently together
- Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 15-17 minutes, until they are spongy to the touch, well risen and a nice golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy. Nice way to start the day!