I wish I’d made this before, it’s the loveliest thing to eat! So easy and fairly quick too.
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf):
- 285g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 110g butter (+ extra for greasing the loaf tin)
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 85ml buttermilk (or cheat and add 1&1/2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: half a packet of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a whisk (electric or otherwise) until it’s light and fluffy.
- When that’s done, add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and the vanilla extract to the creamed butter and sugar and mix well. You can use your electric whisk if you like, just until the mix is cohesive and fairly smooth.
- Fold in the flour mixture, and using a wooden spoon or cake spatula, mix together gently.
- Grease a loaf tin with some butter, and pour the cake mixture into it.
- Transfer to your nice hot oven and bake for roughly 55-60 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow for the banana cake to cool.
- When it’s completely cool, turn onto a wire rack and wait for people to admire it’s yumminess.